Despite the amazing growth of smartphones, not every company manufacturing mobile devices is making a profit. After Apple, only Samsung is managing to grow their smartphone income substantially through device sales.
- Samsung’s flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S III, overtook Apple's iPhone 4S as the world’s best-selling smartphone in the third quarter of 2012. (source)
- Samsung sold 30 million of the Galaxy S III in the first seven months and 18 million units in Q3 2012.(source)
- For comparison, the iPhone 4s sold about 80 million units in the first 7 months. (source)
- Samsung's Galaxy Note II, a 5.5-inch tablet/smartphone hybrid sold 3 million units in its first month. (source)
- For comparison, Apple sold more than 3 million iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad tablets during the the first weekend. (source)
- Samsung's original Galaxy Note, a 5.3-inch tablet/smartphone hybrid sold 10 million units worldwide since its debut. (source)
- In China, Apple dropped out of the top five list in China's smartphone market for the third quarter of 2012. Samsung, however maintained its spot as China's leading smartphone vendor with a 14% share of shipments. (source)