A while ago I looked at the engagement several Web companies were getting on mobile. Here's an updated look.
- It took the iPhone application Instagram only three months to hit one million users. It took Foursquare a full year and Twitter two years. (source)
- Six weeks later Instagram hit two million users. They remain an iOS-only application. They don’t even have a web presence where you can sign up. (source)
- 3.2 million unique visitors used a Yelp mobile app in December 2010. 35% of all searches on Yelp.com came from a Yelp mobile app. Every other second a consumer generated directions to a local business and a photo was uploaded every 30 seconds from a Yelp mobile app. (source)
- eBay's global mobile sales generated nearly $2 billion in 2010, up from $600 million in 2009. (source)
- 94 bids are made every minute via eBay’s mobile apps worldwide. (source)
- 50% of Pandora's total user base subscribes to the service on mobile. (source)