So mobile traffic is growing like crazy. But what are mobile-ready (or better yet mobile-optimized) companies getting for their efforts? Here's some examples.
- 27% of all Yelp searches come from their iPhone application which had 1.4 million unique users in May 2010. Over half a million calls were made to local businesses directly from the iPhone App, or one in every five seconds. Nearly a million people generated point-to-point directions to a local business from their Yelp iPhone App in May. (source)
- OpenTable announced that it has now seated more than three million diners through its mobile applications, marking a 200% increase in eight months. Based on a $50 average check per diner, OpenTable estimates that diners using its mobile applications have generated more than $150 million in revenue for its restaurant partners. (source)
- eBay saw purchases made from mobile apps soar this holiday season, with three-times as many items purchased via mobile device than a year ago. Consumers worldwide bought 1.5 million items from eBay using their mobile device during the 2009 holiday season. Consumers purchased an item from one of eBay’s mobile outlets every two seconds in 2009, with buyers and sellers making over half a billion dollars in transactions from their cell phones. (source)
- In 2009, Pandora’s U.S. audience of registered users reached 43 million and at present nearly 100 different consumer devices other than computers are streaming the service. In December 2009 alone, 3 million new listeners joined Pandora — of which 2.7 million of them activated the service on a device other than a computer, according to the company. (source)
- On the weekends, 15% of homes viewed on Zillow come from mobile devices (10% during the week). Relative to Zillow.com traffic, users are viewing active listings 45% more often from mobile devices (which indicates the mobile audience is primarily active buyers, on location or scoping out neighborhoods. Combined, the Zillow iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows Mobile Apps have been downloaded more than 1.6 million times – making Zillow the leading mobile real estate brand across multiple platforms. (source)
- 10% of Trulia usage is on mobile. Over 50% of searches on iPhone are for properties “near me”. The busiest day for mobile day is Sunday, Saturday is second. Sunday has about 70% more usage than Friday (the lowest day). (source)