I recently had the pleasure of sitting down with User Interface Engineering's Jared Spool to talk a bit about common Visual Design Misconceptions and the importance of visual design in helping users accomplish core tasks and strategic business goals:
- Listen on the UIE site
- SpoolCast: Visual Design Misconceptions with Luke Wroblewski 34MB mp3 audio file
- Text Transcript
Some of the topics we discuss include:
- A fresh coat of paint doesn’t solve core problems, good visual design can.
- When building something, such as a web page, be sure to include all the elements up front – even the text - to ensure that design will take into account every aspect.
- Set Context Appropriately for the team. Skip “what do you think?” and paint the picture underlying the design.
- Those making suggestions on fonts, colors, and layout may not be comfortable making decisions on the strategic direction for the product so they stick to these minor aspects in which everyone can have an opinion.