Over 7.8 trillion text messages were sent in 2011. So it's no secret that texting is a popular mobile activity. But with SMS usage surpassing phone calls in many markets, texting is now the most popular mobile activity.
- In 2010, the number of text messages sent per US mobile users increased by nearly 50%. (source)
- In 2011, 53% Americans still preferred to get voice calls rather than text messages. (source)
- In 2012, 63% of American teens text every day, compared to only 39% making or taking cell phone calls daily. (source)
- In 2012, text-based communications surpassed traditional phone calls or meeting face to face as the most frequent ways of keeping in touch for UK adults. (source)
- 90% of 16-24s in the UK are using some form of text based application daily to communicate with friends and family but only 67% make mobile phone calls on a daily basis. (source)
- Globally, SMS text messaging is used by 85% of mobile phone users (5B people) vs. voice calls that are only used by 83% of mobile phone users. (source)