As sharing controls continue to pop up across the Web, it's worth understanding how people are using them. To that end, here's a compilation of the sharing behavior seen across several of these in recent months.
- Gigya sharing activity from February 2010: Facebook 44%, Twitter 29% Yahoo 18%, MySpace 9% (source)
- AddThis sharing activity from February 2010: Facebook 33%, Email 13%, Twitter 9%, Google 6%, MySpace 6% (source)
- Tell-A-Friend sharing activity from November 2009: 59% of all shares on the widget were done via email, 25% via instant messenger and just 14% were passed along on networks like Facebook (11%) and Twitter (1%). (source)
- ShareThis sharing activity from October 2009: 46.4% of all shares on the widget were done via email, 33.32% via Facebook and 5.82% through Twitter. (source)
- AddToAny sharing activity from July 2009: Facebook has 24% of shares using their widget, Email has 11.1% and Twitter has 10.8% (source)