Data Monday: Online Video Characteristics

by Luke Wroblewski February 8, 2010

As online video continues to grow, it's interesting to see how people are consuming and accessing this medium.

  • The average US Internet user watches 182 videos online in a month. (source).
  • The duration of the average online video is 3.7 minutes. (source). This is up from 2 minutes 46 seconds in 2008 (source)
  • The average video on YouTube (which serves 1 billion videos per day) will get 500 views over time. (source)
  • 25% of those views will come in the first four days (source)
  • By and large, only the first 30 to 60 seconds of an online video will be watched. (source)
  • 45% of views come from direct navigation (search) and the other 55% of the time, people stumble across a video and "discover" it. (source)