Richard Farson, Is Design a Profession or a Business?
Tom Mulhern, What unique contribution does the Overlap’ make to business success?
- Design has gained in importance in direct proportion to information overload.
- Just as design has been vital in simplifying the consumer's life, it can help simplify, accelerate, and focus the life of the corporation.
- Grease, Grit, and Grout are practical products of the Overlap in action.
- Grease is the power of design to align: shared pictures means shared minds; Synthesis as a participative exercise
- Grit is the power of design to make things tangible: visualization, scenarios, prototyping; with real humans at the center.
- Grout is the power of design to make whole: holistic, systems thinking.
- Tom’s complete slides (PDF).
Kristian Simsarian, IDEO
- What’s after human-centered design? Social responsible & sustainability.
- The next big thing is helping companies become more heart-centered rather than just human-centered.