In this week's A List Apart, I had the pleasure of exploring the complex issue of browser viewport defaults with the super-sharp Lyza Danger Gardner, Stephanie Rieger, and Peter-Paul Koch. As we continue into a world of multi-device Web design, this topic (and others like it) needs more attention.
To that end, here's a few conversations and articles about default viewport sizes, how various devices/browsers implement them, and why. Hope they help pique your interest in this space.
- Vexing Viewports: an overview of the problem different pixel densities create, how viewports should be able to help, and why we still run into challenges when creating multi-device Web designs.
- Physical Device & Viewport Sizes: the data behind how different 7 inch tablets handle viewport defaults.
- Viewport on the iPad Mini: The Numbers & Beyond...: my conversation with Matt Brubeck who implemented meta viewport support in mobile Firefox about why and how viewports are set by browser makers.
- Targeting devices that don't account for physical size in Viewport: conversation about viewport issue on iPad Mini and accounting for all the devices that have this challenges in Web designs.
- Vexing Viewports Comments: ongoing conversation about viewport alternatives and what Web developers/designers should do about the current situation.