At the October 2010 Apple special event, Steve Jobs shared recent numbers on Apple's Mac sales and market share. Here's just the data from his presentation.
- The Mac made up 33% (22B) of Apple's revenue last year. (source)
- There were 13.7 million Macs sold in FY 2010. This is 3x what Apple did five years ago. (source)
- Apple's Mac install base is 50m users worldwide. (source)
- Last quarter the Max grew 2.5x. It has outgrown the market for 18 quarters in a row. (source)
- The Mac share in retail was over 20% -- that's one in 5 PCs that are sold in retail. (source)
- Apple has 600k registered Mac devs. They're growing at 30k per month. (source)
- Apple's stores welcomed 75m visitors last year. They sold 2.8m Macs. And about 50% of those are new to the Mac. (source)
- On a semi-related note, 60% of Apple’s sales are from products that did not exist three years ago. (source).