When it comes to smartphones, bigger screens (4 inches plus) are becoming the norm. But the exact opposite seems to be happening in tablet sales where smaller (7 inch) devices are starting to outsell bigger (10 inch) ones.
- At the end of 2012, worldwide sales of 7-inch tablets were expected to increase from 34 million in 2012 to 67 million units in 2013. (source)
- Of the 245 million tablet shipments expected this year, the 5 inch to 8.9 inch category will make up 136 million with the 9 inch to 10 inch size shipping fewer – 118 million. (source)
- Shipments of 9.7 inch tablets have dropped from 7.4 million shipments in December 2012 to 1.3 million in January 2103. (source)
- 60% of tablet growth this year will come from tablets that are 8 inches or smaller. (source)
- As of fourth quarter of 2012, 7-inch tablets took 41.2% market share, up from 12.6% in 3Q 2012. Meanwhile, 10-inch tablets fell in market share from 67.3% to 40.6%. (source)