When I first put together my presentation on the Shifting Role of Design in 2006, the Internet was a popular place. When I revised it in 2010, I had to update several key stats as things got much busier.
Per day in 2006...
- More than 60 billion emails were sent.
- An estimated 1 billion text (SMS) messages were sent worldwide.
- 1.2 million blog posts were written (50,000 per hour).
Per day in 2010...
- More than 247 billion emails are sent. (source)
- 4.1 billion text messages are sent in the United States alone. (source)
- 60 million updates are published on Facebook. (source)
- 50 million updates are published on Twitter. (source)
If interested, you can check out audio, video, and PDF versions of my Shifting Role of Design talk that touches on the impact of these trends for design.