This year, Tom Chi & I presented our Influencing Strategy by Design workshop to over a hundred professional designers from across the World. At the start of each course we asked attendees to share what they wanted to see as a result of greater strategic influence. Here’s a compilation of what we’ve heard.
- As designers, we’d like to define solutions not just look & feel
- We don’t want to waste time on things that don’t make an impact
- Ensure better decisions get made
- Be considered an indispensible part of the team
- Make sure we solve the right problem
- Bring the user perspective to the products and services our organization delivers
- Deliver appropriate market solutions that meet different user’s needs
- Create products people love!
- Be core partner in organizational rejuvenation
- Gain competitive advantage: lead the market, make money
- Have a cohesive direction for our organization
- Pride, satisfaction, and job enjoyment
- Ensure I utilize my creativity
- Get ideas into the world
- Think more like an executive