- We are taught to think that drawing is about making things look realistic.
- But drawing is really about getting ideas down on a page. Think of it as another vocabulary that enables discussion.
- Basic primitives (circle, square, triangle, line, point, cube, cone, pyramid, sphere, etc.) are the building blocks of drawing. If you can draw these basic shapes you can draw anything.
- Don’t worry if the perspective in your drawings is right, focus instead on communicating. Use “Egyptian (flat) perspective) to get ideas across.
- Children use drawing to explore the world, not to replicate it. This basic principle is immensely powerful when you begin to consider how to apply drawing in your work.
VizThink 08: How to Draw with Dave Gray
by Luke Wroblewski January 27, 2008