Jared Spool’s keynote at User Interface 11 illustrated several attributes of great user experience deign teams with vivid (and often humorous) examples. What great teams do:
- Create, Promote, and Share a Common Experience Vision: the Knowledge Navigator video was shown as an example of how Apple illustrated their vision of the future. But you could do the same with comics or other lightweight mediums.
- Celebrate Design Problems as a Teachable Moment: uncovering issues with your design is an opportunity to improve your user experience.
- Empower to Make Informed Decisions: know your users and their context so you can make the right decisions.
- Reach Out to all Design Agents: even the lawyers at your firm can have an impact on user experience. Reach out to these types of teams and work with them to coordinate a cohesive design.
- Look at the Entire User Experience: account for a broader set of customer touchpoints.