In a recent study into the behavior of PC, smartphone, and TV users, Google found that 90% of their participants used multiple devices sequentially and 81% used multiple devices simultaneously. In both cases, the smartphone was at the heart of these multi-device behaviors.
Smartphones were the most common starting place for online activities.
- 66% of social networking started on a smartphone.
- 65% shopping online started on a smartphone.
- 65% searching for information started on a smartphone.
- 63% browsing the Internet started on a smartphone.
- 59% managing finances started on a smartphone.
Smartphones were the most common device used simultaneously with other devices.
- 81% used smartphones and TVs simultaneously.
- 66% used smartphones and laptops simultaneously.
- ￼57% of the time when people used a smartphone, they were using another device simultaneously. ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼28% with a PC/laptop. 29% with a television
- 78% of simultaneous usage is multi-tasking and email, Web browsing, and social networking are the most common activities performed during simultaneous screen usage.